Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Double Replacement Reactions

In a double replacement reaction the driving force is the formation of a solid. The reactants which must be aqueous and ionic undergo disassociation, the ionic compounds break apart into cations and anions. The cations then replace eachother and create two new compounds, one being a solid. 
To know whether a solid is produced or not, you will need to know the solubility rules.
Some extra practice can be found at: http://www.chemteam.info/Equations/DoubleReplacement.html

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I didn't really see the purpose of the solubility rules while learning the lesson. I now see that after you double replace the elements with each other, the products need to be looked at, for they may produce a solid or are aqueous. This is vital. This is important because the aquesos products are spectator ions ( not really important to producing solid), and the solubility rules help determine the net ionic equation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was studying for the exam I had to look up the purpose of all of the rules and such, and now I wish I would've seen your blog post. I agree with Evan in that the information regarding when elements are soluble with what other elements is very vital information. Keep up these blog posts because they are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the link you shared. It's very simple and clear to understand. I also agree with Evan as the solubility rules proved to be very important.

    ReplyDelete