Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Formula of a Hydrate lab

We completed a lab on Monday in class working with hydrates and anhydrous compounds. To start, we measured out about a thumb width of hydrated crystals into a test tube and took its mass by weighing by difference. Using and bunson burner, we heated the test tube gently for a few minutes and then on medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until it was completely white and allowed it to cool before taking it's mass once more. We reheated the test tube again to ensure all water was driven off and took the mass one last time after it was cooled. Using the data we determined the formula of the hydrate.

3 comments:

  1. This post is interesting to me! Thank you for putting all the pictures- they are really resourceful and showed me some of the steps during the procedure. This lab was fun-- it was cool to see the color change due to the absence of water. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you probably know I didn't get into the hydrate lab. I was although very curious on how the was driven off of the Copper Sulfate compound. I now see that that the hydrate needs to be heated until all the water is driven away to find the amount of water molecules in the lab. Thanks for the good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for walking me through the entire lab. Your specifics were great and I feel as if I could complete the lab myself now. Your picture really helped to see how the lab looked and how it was completed also. You were very thorough with your steps and this will help anyone who will view this! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete