Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Beanium Lab

We completed a lab in class today to deepen our knowledge and practice our skills of solving average atomic mass. The scenario we were given had us conducting follow up experiments on a newly discovered element, "Beanium", which uniquely has atoms that are very large and isotopes can be sorted by hand. My lab partner and I counted total number of atoms in the sample, then sorted the atoms by isotope, counting the number of atoms for each isotope, and determined mass using a scale. Using this information, we calculated average mass for each isotope by dividing the number of atoms for each isotope by the total mass of each isotope. After, we calculated the percent abundance by dividing the number of atoms for each isotope by the number of atoms on the whole sample. We then filled in the average mass and percent abundance of each isotope into the equation for average atomic mass. This is found in an earlier post of mine, Isotopes, it also provides a little more background information about the whole process of finding atomic mass.
Materials for lab

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lauren for sharing your experience with this experience! You did a very good job walking me through the experiment and how to conduct the calculations that you had to do; now I can go apply them myself. This really helped me understand how isotopes can be separated in a way that was visual for me. What I do not understand is what the average atomic mass is and the importance of finding it. Thanks again for your help in applying the separation of isotopes, and I will refer to this if I ever have to conduct this type of separation myself!

    ReplyDelete